This pagoda-like clock tower in the third largest city of Perak was built in 1885 by contractor Leong Choon Chong. It orginally housed the water tank that supplied water to the town. The floods that occurred in the late 18th century exacerbated the slanting of the tower built on soft soil.
From an architectural point of view, this tower is an exemplary amalgamation of two cultures- that of Chinese and Malay. The pagoda facade belies the Malay interior design.
The nuts and bolts system in the olden days.
Visited on 6 August 2016